Monday 30 May 2011

Wrapped Sketchbook


This one is an old sketchbook/journal that I kept during the period just after I split up with my ex. Given the personal nature of the contents I like the idea that it would be really easy to open it up and look inside but in doing so you’d be breaking the ‘art object’.

The idea was inspired in part by a comment made by the marvellous Saskia Takens Milne about Carousel, an installation I made for the recent Unrealised Projects event at the Milton Keynes Gallery. The installation consisted of the slides my mother kept over the two or three years when my sister and I were born which were projected out of focus on a white screen. The concept of Carousel was mainly about memory but I guess there was also a tension around the idea of voyeurism and Saskia commented that there was something interesting in that you could, if you wished, lean over and focus the lens.

And another thanks to Saskia for taking the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment